Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Essay Draft


"How do you understand the phrase “Television and the Development of Youth?”

The first thing I think of when I hear the phrase “Television and the Development of Youth” is actually twofold.  I see the negative idea that TV is turning kids into violent criminals who can’t tell the difference between fantasy and reality but I also see the idea that TV can lead youth into a different world, a world where they can be free to see their ideas played out in a safe space where nobody gets hurt.  Kids can learn a lot from the television, and of course I think there is a value to educational programming, but I think that kids can learn from entertainment based programming as well.  I think this is especially true when it comes to lessons on social behaviors and the way our society functions as a whole.  Anything in society can be bad for us if we let it, so why not see the good in something that clearly is not going to go away anytime soon and use it to educate our children outside of the classroom and in a more informal setting?

If we can look at television through a different lens, I think we can use it as a way to trigger important conversations for youth of all ages.  In Fisherkeller’s chapter about the girl Marina, Fisherkeller talks about how when Marina watches television programs, they prompt her  to think about things other than her day to day routine.  They prompt her to think about important social issues, in this case choices regarding sexual health and the consequences that go along with it.  This might not be a conversation she would have thought to go over in her mind or discuss with someone else if she didn’t have the prompt from the program she was watching.  There is a multitude of other social situations that can prompt important discussions for youth such as drinking and drugs.  These three topics are probably the most viewed on TV, but I’m sure other social situations exist out there.  The nice thing about television programs is that different programs can explore the same situation but can explore it in a different way, or even come to a different conclusion.  This helps the viewer see how most of the time there is more than one option for anybody.

I don’t think that this kind of information can be learned solely from watching a TV sitcom, but when paired with other types of education, such as from a parent or other adult figure, it can have a powerful influence.  We should see television as a way to springboard into other conversations rather than something we need to abhor and ban from households.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allison,

    It’s interesting how television can be both negative and positive to different individuals watching the same shows. A child who cannot tell the difference between fantasy and reality may turn into a violent criminal; whereas, another child watching the same shows may see violence is bad and vows to stay away from violence.

    I wonder what are the main differentiating factors between someone like Marina wanting to stay off the streets and the individuals who are selling drugs in her neighborhood? How/why is the mediation of television an important factor for Marina when it comes to wanting to learn more about current events and important social issues? Is the person who interviewed Marina the adult figure who is prompting her to think about the role of television in her life? Would Marina eventually come to her own conclusions about the positive role television has in her life without the help of her interviewer?

    I look forward to the interesting conversations we will have in our class this semester.

    Susana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that television gets a worse wrap than it deserves. And that we neglect to observe what other factors in the child's environment might be aiding in increased aggression after watching certain shows. I feel with a combination of factors TV can be harmful, but the same is true about the benefits. Like you mentioned TV is here to stay and we as educators need to find away to use TV to our benefit.

    ReplyDelete